Transport matters – what we do matters.
Join us and make a difference to people’s lives in the UK.
Together, we’re creating a legacy for future generations. From policy to administration, law to HR and economics to communications and digital, we work to deliver a safer, more secure and sustainable transport network that works for everyone.
The work we do
The Department for Transport and our agencies employ around 15,000 staff working in locations across the country.
We work with our agencies and partners to support the transport network that helps the UK’s businesses and gets people and goods travelling around the country. We plan and invest in transport infrastructure to keep the UK on the move.
Click here to see the type of work that the Department is responsible for!
- providing policy, guidance, and funding to English local authorities to help them run and maintain their road networks, improve passenger and freight travel, and develop new major transport schemes
- investing in, maintaining and operating around 4,300 miles of the motorway and trunk road network in England through Highways England
- setting the strategic direction for the rail industry in England and Wales – funding investment in infrastructure through Network Rail, awarding and managing rail franchises, and regulating rail fares
- improving English bus services through funding and regulation
- working to make our roads less congested and polluted by promoting lower carbon transport, including cycling and walking
- encouraging the use of new technology such as smart ticketing and low carbon vehicles
- maintaining high standards of safety and security in transport
- supporting the maritime sector by producing the overall strategy and planning policy for ports in England and Wales
- setting national aviation policy, working with airlines, airports, the Civil Aviation Authority and NATS (the UK’s air traffic service)
Our DfT Family
The Department for Transport is made up of the central department and four executive agencies. Together, they each play a pivotal role in delivering an excellent transport system that works for all.
In the five organisations, you will find a wide range of career opportunities and high-profile projects to be a part of. Each has a different personality, culture and offers their own individual benefits and rewards.
With offices located throughout the United Kingdom, there’s guaranteed to be the perfect job waiting for you at the Department for Transport. Click through our Agency Pages to learn more about the five organisations and start your journey towards a career in transport.
We have a wide range of roles to suit every skill set. See the professions we regularly recruit for and the type of work we do.
Different People, One Team
We embrace diversity and celebrate our differences. Everyone is involved in making DfT an inclusive and great place to work.
Transport matters to everyone
Hear DfT Permanent Secretary, Bernadette Kelly, talk about the fantastic and important work we do at the Department for Transport.