Check back soon!
DVSA regularly recruits Traffic Examiners from across the UK. Keep an eye on this page for upcoming recruitment campaigns.
In the mean time, you can view all DVSA vacancies on Civil Service Jobs, where you can also sign-up to job alerts, apply, and track your application progress.
What makes a good Traffic Examiner?
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who wants to make a positive difference to road safety and use their powers to make sure drivers are following the rules.
We are looking for someone with;
- An investigative mind with the ability to probe for more information and gather detail
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- The ability to handle challenging conversations
- The ability to work independently and flexibility
Being a DVSA Traffic Examiner
As a DVSA Traffic Examiner, you will contribute to the maintenance and improvement of road safety and standards by keeping the public safe on Britain’s roads.
You will do this by conducting inspections in a variety of locations including the roadside and customers premises
Traffic Examiners work as part of a team and individually, managing their own workload whilst contributing to the performance of the wider team.
Responsibilities of a Traffic Examiner may include:
- Carrying out inspections of all vehicle types and drivers hours
- Administration duties; including compiling reports, test certificates and documentation
- Instigating prosecution and providing evidence to court for cases of those who break regulations
- Maintaining excellent relationships with customers by providing quality customer service
- Taking responsibility for the health and safety of yourself and others
- Contributing to the teams performance to achieve targets
- Showing leadership by supporting and working collaboratively with colleagues
- Building relationships with internal and external stakeholders
How to Apply
This is a great opportunity to tell us about you, your skills and experience and how you fit the role of a Traffic Examiner at DVSA.
You need to submit your application via the Civil Service Jobs website – www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk
You’ll need to complete:
- A personal statement , demonstrating your experience and suitability for the role.
You will be asked to provide evidence on when you’ve;
- Used your communication skills to engage others
- Followed a process that involves interpreting data, and writing detailed responses
- Remained positive when adapting to change of working requirements or business need
- Gathered further information so that you can make accurate decisions
- Worked effectively as part of a team while working towards a shared goal
Interview & written assessment
You will be invited to attend a panel interview to discuss your previous experience and professional competence. Both the written assessment and interview will be online.
Before the interview, you will be asked to undertake a written assessment, where we give you a scenario that a DVSA Traffic Examiner would find themselves in and ask you to write a report based on the findings.
Interviews will be behaviour-based questions, centred around things that you have done in the past and how you would react in a given situation. We’ve designed the selection process specifically for this role.
Assessed on these behaviours:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
- Communicating and Influencing
Interested in being a Traffic Examiner?
To apply to be a Traffic Examiner, and view all the current opportunities with DVSA, visit Civil Service Jobs:
Find out more about working for DVSA
You can find out more about working for us, including all the other benefits we have to offer, by using the links below:
Not found what you’re looking for? Click below to see all DfT vacancies