We’re the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), and we are one of the 4 executive agencies that make up the Department for Transport (DfT). Most people know DVLA for the work we do providing driving licences, car tax and number plates. But the work our people do at DVLA is far wider reaching than that.
Our award-winning services are helping to make our customers lives’ easier, while the great work our people do maintaining registration and licensing documents of drivers help to keep UK roads some of the safest in the world.
There’s never been a more exciting time to apply for a career in DVLA. We’re going through a radical process of change, moving away from a paper-based organisation to a modern and highly efficient business. In the last decade we’ve expanded our digital service offering and transformed the service we provide our customers, becoming a multi-award-winning government agency.
The Operational and Customer Services Directorate (OCSD) is the largest directorate in DVLA with over 4,000 colleagues striving for excellence in everything they do.
The Role: Customer Support Officer
Your unique role as a Customer Support Officer will incorporate a combination of telephony and casework, providing you with skill variety and a greater insight into how the agency operates.
You’ll be expected to deliver excellent customer service in a demanding and fast-paced environment, whilst championing road safety.
You’ll undertake medical casework, providing advice and guidance to customers, accurately updating databases with the aim to resolve any queries either written or by telephone at first point of customer contact.
Some other aspects of the role include:
- ensuring all information is captured in an accurate and timely manner on relevant systems and protect our customers’ personal data
- making medical licensing decisions in accordance to operating instructions
- navigating and recording information on multiple systems, whilst engaging with customers with a customer centric ethos
Alongside these tasks you would also be expected to:
- work well with colleagues within a team and the wider business- listen to the views of others and try to see issues from other perspectives
- take time to continue to self-develop – take on board feedback and identify any gaps in knowledge, skills, and behaviour in order to improve
Customer Support Officer Benefits
We offer key benefits through working as a Customer Support Officer at DVLA:
- Excellent salary – £22,497 based on full-time hours (part-time hours are calculated pro-rata)
- Annual leave – 25 days per year, accruing an extra day of leave per year of service, up to 30 days (pro-rata for part-time colleagues)
- Training and coaching – our experienced and award-winning teams will provide you with full training and coaching covering the systems you’ll use, knowledge to carry out the role and a comprehensive customer service package which is continuously updated with any legislative changes
- Development and support – we want all our colleagues to reach their full potential, that’s why you’ll receive monthly 121s that are designed specifically for you and your personal development
- Our culture – DVLA is a diverse, friendly, and vibrant place to work. When asked what our colleagues’ value most, the team camaraderie and family atmosphere always come out on top
- Recognition – DVLA run an ‘In-Year Reward’ scheme which enables colleagues to be recognised for the great work that’s done throughout the year
- Charity – OCSD takes an active approach to raising funds for the DVLA’s chosen charity of the year.
- Pension – the Civil Service offers a highly competitive pension scheme. If you would like further information on Civil Service pension schemes, please click here
- Staff Networking Groups – DVLA is an equal opportunities employer, and we are proud to have a diverse workforce. We offer a range of staff networking groups (SNGs) who contribute to the department’s vision to be leaders on inclusion in the Civil Service
- Location – the grade II listed Baskerville House in Centenary Square is at the epicentre of one of Birmingham’s premier business locations. The office space is flooded with natural light and offers fantastic views across Birmingham. Birmingham New Street train station is just an 11-minute walk away and you’ll find the nearest bus stop is directly opposite Baskerville House.
Our Birmingham customer service centre operates between the hours of 8am and 7pm, Monday to Friday and 8am and 2pm on a Saturday. Shift patterns within these working hours can offer excellent flexibility to suit a wide range of different lifestyles and interests.
Full Training Provided
As a newly enrolled Customer Support Officer you’ll receive full training, which will involve:
- Call handling techniques
- How to process administrative tasks
- How to answer common customer queries and provide advice to customers
- One to one and group support from experienced trainers and managers
- Weekly reviews to monitor progress
The Recruitment Timeline
Our pre-employment checks can take up to 20 working days. In order for us to carry out these checks, you’ll need to bring your Identification Documents (ID) to our office. Please refer to this guide which explains the type of ID we can accept.
Ready to apply?
To see all of DVLAs current vacancies and sign up to job alerts please visit Civil Service Jobs here: